Storage Building / Shed

Construction of a storage building/shed requires an accessory structure permit. Electrical or plumbing construction work in conjunction with storage building/shed construction requires separate permit(s).

A storage building/shed is defined as a roofed, enclosed accessory structure subordinate and incidental to the primary structure or residence. A maximum of two accessory structures are allowed per lot or property.

A storage building/shed shall be located within the side or rear yard. If located in a side yard, a storage building/shed shall not extend closer to the front property line than the front of the house. A storage building/shed must be set back 6 feet from side and rear property lines. For corner lots, a storage building/shed must be set back 15 feet from the side yard lot line adjacent to a street.

Storage building/shed structures 200 square feet in area or larger must be constructed on permanent foundations. Storage building/shed structures less than 200 square feet may be constructed on a permanent foundation or skids or other type of temporary foundation.

Storage building/shed structures 120 square feet in area or less may have metal exterior siding. Storage building/shed structures ranging in size from 120 square feet to 250 square may utilize plywood, siding, or any other exterior material permitted by Building Code except metal exterior siding. Storage building/shed structures over 250 square feet must meet the masonry requirements of the Zoning Ordinance. Metal panels may be used for roofing.

Submittal Requirements: (See accessory structure permit application for details)

  • Accessory Structure Permit Application
  • Construction plans
  • Plot plan
  • Fee: $30 (less than 120 square feet); $75 (120 to 250 square feet); $0.50/square foot (greater than 250 square feet)
  • HOA approval letter (for accessory structures on residential lots within a neighborhood with a homeowners association)
Submittal Method: Accessory structure permit application and payment must be submitted in person by homeowner or contractor.