Shop (Noncommercial)

Construction of a shop (noncommercial) requires an accessory structure permit. Electrical or plumbing construction work in conjunction with shop (noncommercial) construction requires separate permit(s).

A shop (noncommercial) is defined as a roofed, enclosed accessory structure subordinate and incidental to the primary structure or residence. A maximum of two accessory structures are allowed per lot or property.

A shop (noncommercial) shall be located within the side or rear yard. If located in a side yard, a shop (noncommercial) shall not extend closer to the front property line than the front of the house. A shop (noncommercial) must be set back 6 feet from side and rear property lines. For corner lots, a shop (noncommercial) must be set back 15 feet from the side yard lot line adjacent to a street.

Shop (noncommercial) structures 200 square feet in area or larger must be constructed on permanent foundations. Shop (noncommercial) structures less than 200 square feet may be constructed on a permanent foundation or skids or other type of temporary foundation.

Shop (noncommercial) structures 120 square feet in area or less may have metal exterior siding. Shop (noncommercial) structures ranging in size from 120 square feet to 250 square may utilize plywood, siding, or any other exterior material permitted by Building Code except metal exterior siding. Shop (noncommercial) structures over 250 square feet must meet the masonry requirements of the Zoning Ordinance. Metal panels may be used for roofing.

Submittal Requirements: (See accessory structure permit application for details)

  • Accessory Structure Permit Application
  • Construction plans
  • Plot plan
  • Fee: $30 (less than 120 square feet); $75 (120 to 250 square feet); $0.50/square foot (greater than 250 square feet)
  • HOA approval letter (for accessory structures on residential lots within a neighborhood with a homeowners association)
Submittal Method: Accessory structure permit application and payment must be submitted in person by homeowner or contractor.